Tuesday, July 31, 2007

MS Conference on Church Music & Liturgy

For the next several days, I'll be taking a break from blogging for continuing education at the Mississippi Conference on Church Music and Liturgy. The Conference brings in nationally-acclaimed faculty, as well as choristers and organists/choirmasters from all over the country. It's a really first-class offering.

This will be my third time to attend the entire conference. Although I'm not a trained musician, I've found the experience of rehearsing and singing in a choir a very rewarding one. Participating in this Conference has given me my first opportunities to sing Evensong in a choir, and to serve as a priest in a closing festive Eucharist worthy of John's descriptions of heavenly worship in the Book of Revelation.

Through the Conference, I've also come to believe that it's important for clergy to have a better understanding of what church musicians do. And there's no better way to gain that understanding than to actually do it. It's unbelievable how much hard work and talent it takes to pull off just one service!

For me, this Conference brings to life the Collect for Church Musicians and Artists in The Book of Common Prayer (p. 819):

O God, whom saints and angels delight to worship in heaven: Be ever present with your servants who seek through art and music to perfect the praises offered by your people on earth; and grant to them even now glimpses of your beauty, and make them worthy at length to behold it unveiled for evermore; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

5 comments:

bls said...

Sounds wonderful! I'd love to go to a conference like that sometime, myself.

There's nothing like the Anglican musical tradition! Sung Morning Prayer, Evensong, the wonderful hymns and anthems in our tradition; the variety and quantity and quality is wondrous (and unfortunately at lot of the stuff is going unheard these days because Morning Prayer is a thing of the past in most places).

Hope you enjoy it.

Bryan+ said...

Thanks!

Yes, it is wonderful to spend several days with wonderful music and the Daily Office. I'm really looking forward to that.

The Postulant said...

I have great memories of my time at the Mississippi Conference in 2005. I hope your experience is every bit as enjoyable as mine was.

Bryan+ said...

It's very enjoyable, indeed!

We're just about ready to rehearse for Evensong at St. Philip's, Jackson - a service I've enjoyed very much in the past.

2005 was my first year to attend the Conference, so our paths crossed that year.

The Postulant said...

Actually, that was absent-mindedness on my part. I was at the *Sewanee* conference on '05, Mississippi in '04. I'm really too young to be this confused.