Friday, January 25, 2008

181st Annual Council

I'm off to Natchez for the weekend to attend the 181st Annual Council of the Diocese of Mississippi. In addition to the usual business, my rock/blues band RUBRIXX (comprised of four Episcopal priests) will play for the dinner dance tomorrow night.

"Almighty and everliving God, source of all wisdom and understanding, be present with those who take counsel in Natchez for the renewal and mission of your Church. Teach us in all things to seek first your honor and glory. Guide us to perceive what is right, and grant us both the courage to pursue it and the grace to accomplish it; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."
The Book of Common Prayer, p. 818

2 comments:

Chris+ said...

Bryan,

Hope you had a good council full of the Spirit.

I was in the Diocese of Atlanta, when a group put together a resolution affirming the Bible. I wound up voting against it, not because I don't believe, or love the biblical text. I voted against it because the resolution implied an affirmation was needed. I take my ordination vows very seriously. I made that vow and have upheld it. Someone insinuating I need to reaffirm, chaps my ass, as it were.

Although, our Dean made a convincing plea to extend an arm to those that proposed the resolution, by passing it. I was almost swayed, but felt my integrity was, somehow, at stake.

Anyway, enough of that. Hope you are well.



Peace,
Chris+

Bryan+ said...

Thanks, Chris. Council went very well. And the resolution I've written about was replaced by a substitute resolution which passed almost unanimously. If I can get a copy of it I'll post it.