Friday, March 20, 2009

Which Anglican Theologian Are You?

I took the quiz "Which Anglican Theologian are You?" on Facebook. I am Austin Farrer. Here's what the result says:

The Scriptures, the Fathers, and philosophy are all important to Christian life and witness - and to your own spiritual growth. The Scriptures, however, have a special weight, although they must be read in a critically informed and imaginative fashion. Liturgy is necessary and true, and expresses all of the major tenants of the undivided catholic Church. You believe that priests have an especial responsibility in the liturgy as well as outside of it, for priests are walking sacraments. You prefer that sermons be devotional and intellectual at the same time, and you believe that a mature theology is recognizes both the dimness of its gaze, and the truthfulness of what it gazes upon. The Church is, at bottom, episcopal in its ordering. Although you have a deep love of the papacy, you also are fully convinced that the Anglican Communion does not need the pope's approval.

I can't say that I've ever had a deep love of the papacy, although I certainly have a deep respect for it. And while I've never read any of Farrer's work, this quiz inspires me to do so. Among his many publications, I'm particularly intrigued to see that he wrote a meditation on the Creed entitled, Lord, I Believe.

3 comments:

Joe Rawls said...

I too am Austin Farrer. Another case of great minds working alike!

The Postulant said...

Me too, though in my case that makes sense (I even wrote the article on Farrer for the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy). By all means read Lord I Believe and Saving Belief, but for my money you can't beat his sermons. I want to preach like Farrer when I grow up.

And for the record, I don't get this "deep love for the papacy" business myself.

Bryan Owen said...

Great minds, indeed, Joe!

That's really cool about the Encyclopedia entry, Postulant. I'll have to check that out. I'll have to see if I can find some Farrer sermons on-line.