Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nailed by Scripture

As I was proofing this coming Sunday's bulletin today, I laughed out loud when I saw the first sentence of the assigned reading from the letter of James:

"Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness."

This was so striking to me because this Sunday is when we at St. Andrew's Cathedral kick off our Fall formation offerings for children, youth, and adults. What a timely Word from the Lord on the day when all our teachers begin their classes! And what a timely word of warning to those who use the privilege of teaching in a church setting to promote agendas that call into question or even tear down the faith of the Church.

2 comments:

Joe Rawls said...

Teaching in church has always made me feel nervous, for precisely this reason.

jason said...

I saw that too, and immediately thought of the fundamentalist pre-millenial dispensationalist sunday school teachers I had in my parents' Pentecostal, Assemblies of God church... they more than anyone else are why I became an atheist... and then an Episcopalian ;)