Monday, March 15, 2010

An Important Book

Just today I finished reading David Bentley Hart's Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies (Yale University Press, 2009).

I found myself unable to put the book down. I'm blown away by it. And in spite of the fact that it's Spring Break, I'm hoping to write more about the book in the next few days as I continue to process what I've been reading. We'll see what happens. Quite rightly, time with the kids (a wonderful thing!) and yard work (ugh!) have a rightful way of reorienting one's priorities.

In the meantime, I do want to say this: Atheist Delusions is, without a doubt, one of the most engrossing, insightful, inspiring, and disturbing books I've read in a long time. I'll go a step further to say that it's also one of the most important books I've ever read.

No doubt, that's a judgment that not every other reader would agree with. However, if you're at all interested in what difference the rise of Christianity in the early centuries of the "common era" made in how and why we view individual human beings as persons of infinite value and dignity, and why the so-called "New Atheists" who advocate for the abolition of "religion" per se and Christianity in particular are (at best) ill-informed and (at worst) off their moral rockers, and also what might be at stake as Western culture continues to lose the Christian moral vision, this book is a must read.

No comments: