Saturday, February 26, 2011

N. T. Wright Summarizes the Gospel

" ... the gospel, in the New Testament, is the good news that God (the world's creator) is at last becoming king and that Jesus, whom this God raised from the dead, is the world's true lord. ... The power of the gospel lies not in the offer of a new spirituality or religious experience, not in the threat of hellfire (certainly not in the threat of being 'left behind'), which can be removed if only the hearer checks this box, says this prayer, raises a hand, or whatever, but in the powerful announcement that God is God, that Jesus is Lord, that the powers of evil have been defeated, that God's new world has begun. This announcement, stated as a fact about the way the world is rather than as an appeal about the way you might like your life, your emotions, or your bank balance to be, is the foundation of everything else. Of course, once the gospel announcement is made, in whatever way, it means instantly that all people everywhere are gladly invited to come in, to join the party, to discover forgiveness for the past, an astonishing destiny in God's future, and a vocation in the present."

~ N. T. Wright, Surprised By Hope

8 comments:

Roland said...

I like Bp. Wright and this short paragraph elucidating the Christian Gospel. Too bad he's leaving Durham or that other little village nearby where the vicarage is. I'm sure God has more great things for him to do. He, along with John Stott, J.I. Packer and Michael Green are among my favourite Anglican teachers/theologians. For an interesting read on who is "regenerate" or no, see Charlie Ray's http://reasonablechristion.blogspot.com - article "Don't Like Labels. ..or Commitment?, tick (click) "4 Comments" link at bottom of heading (near green share button). This is an example of a bit more exclusive view of the Faith. I'm glad it's only God (not men) who in the end will judge us by his divine justice and grace.

Bryan Owen said...

Hi Roland. I'm sure that God does, indeed, have great things in store for Bishop Wright. He may have retired from serving as a diocesan bishop, but he's now devoting his considerable gifts full-time to teaching and writing with an appointment to a Chair in New Testament and Early Christianity at the University of St. Andrews.

I've not spent time reading Stott, Packer, and Green. Perhaps I should check them out, too. Any suggestions on where to start?

Also, I tried the blog link and was told that "the blog you were looking for does not exist." :(

Anonymous said...

I spelled Christian wrong in "resonablechristian" blog address, hence error msg.. Re Stott, see his book "Basic Christianity" for starters. J.I. Packer, "Knowing God" Green: www.anglican-evangelism.org

http://friendsofwycliffhall.org (see audio section, tick second button on list).

http://www.rzim.eu/celebrating-gods-goodness-through-the-life-of-michael-green

Hope this helps. Regards,

Anonymous said...

I did it again. It's WycliffE Hall. I left off the e in the address. I don't know how to type!

Bryan Owen said...

Thanks for the recommendations and corrections. I'll have to check these out.

Roland said...

Your blog is quoted on: http://www.allsaintscenterfortheology.org - top, under "Monday's Round-up"

Listen to good sermons at:

http://www.stjohnsvancouver.org

I like Canon Dr. J. I. Packer's sermons (Lerner's exchange - 6 Feb. 2011) and Dan Gifford's messages.

Thanks for update on Bp. Wright going to St. Andrews. It's a lovely town and school.

All the best to you and your ministry at St. Andrews Cathedral, Jackson.

Bryan Owen said...

Thanks again, Roland!

Rick said...

J.I. Packer's "Knowing God" is a classic. I cannot recommend it enough.