Tuesday, February 1, 2011

St. Brigid of Kildare

"I would like the angels of Heaven to be among us. I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all. I would like Jesus to be present. I would like the three Marys of illustrious renown to be with us. I would like the friends of Heaven to be gathered around us from all parts. I would like myself to be a rent payer to the Lord; that I should suffer distress, that he would bestow a good blessing upon me. I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings. I would like to be watching Heaven's family drinking it through all eternity."

6 comments:

interruptingthesilence.com said...

A beautiful prayer that is timely and relevant. Her concerns and desires certainly fit the needs of today's world and its people.

Peace, Mike+

Dale Matson said...

Tomorrow is her feast day and I will be conducting MP/HE 2. Both the Epistle reading from 1 Corintians and the Gospel reading from Matthew speak to seeking Christ that we may share in his righteousness. Pope Benedict stated that Christ was the Kingdom of God in person.

Dale Matson said...

Oops,
Today is her feast day. I almost prepared for the wrong day. Tomorrow is the Presentation of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Temple.

Joe Rawls said...

I especially like the great lake of beer bit.

Bryan Owen said...

Thanks for the comments.

I'm with you, Joe. The "great lake of beer for the King of Kings" has won my heart over for St. Brigid.

Karen Kegley said...

This quote from St. Brigid reminds me a bit of Julian of Norwich and another bit of Teresa of Avila and, though this is a painting, it reminds me a lot that I would still like to take classes on writing icons.