Saturday, November 3, 2012

Richard Hooker on Holy Communion



"Let it therefore be sufficient for me presenting myself at the Lord's table to know what there I receive from him, without searching or inquiring of the manner how Christ performeth his promise; let disputes and questions, enemies to piety, abatements of true devotions, and hitherto in this cause but over-patiently heard, let them take their rest; let curious and sharp-witted men beat their heads about what questions themselves will ... what these elements are in themselves it skilleth not, it is enough that to me which take them they are the body and blood of Christ, his promise in witness hereof sufficeth, his word he knoweth which way to accomplish; why should any cogitation possess the mind of a faithful communicant but this, O my God, thou art true, O my soul thou art happy?"

1 comment:

George Dunning said...

"Let it therefore be sufficient for me . . . "

These first words are the key to me, and not just in the topic that Hooker is discussing but surely in all our struggles in all our interactions in all our shuffling stumbling attempts at walking hand in hand (or more often back towards the One) It seems a concept from a bygone era when such a prayer "Let what you give be sufficient for me" would cover everything from the spiritual (mystical) to the physical. I have a sense somewhere along the way we lost that objective realism?

Have we become so materialistic, so self centered that we want God on our terms, to meet our needs as we see them, to overflow the vessel of 'us' in the shape that we have made not the one he created. In my ignorance I wonder how much of this self-centredness has been aided and abetted by an evangelical approach of 'name it and claim it' of a God who is so close he 'should' be at our beck and call, a focus on biblical promises which we shape and mold to suit our own desires for 'filledness'?

I read what Hooker says here and think about the Eucharist, the physical and the material and try as we might we cannot tie the two together in a way that we can grasp with our logic. We are at Gods mercy completely, maybe even embarrassed by our own failure to bring anything to the table so the we may claim some part in the mystery of it all. Nothing to bring but ourselves.

Thanks Brian once again, sorry for the ramble.